Thursday, December 5, 2013

R.I.P. Nelson Mandela

Just a brief clip from my book The Amazing Morse to let the world know what I think of Nelson Mandela on the occasion of his passing. Although it is a work of fiction, it comes straight from my heart.

"He shuddered as he wondered what would lead a person to such a place where words like choice, freedom, trust, and kindness had no meaning. And then he thought of the Nelson Mandelas of the world, those who had willingly endured such environments, people who had such a love for freedom that they were willing to sacrifice their own for the sake of other's. Surely prison must be even more dreadful for such gentle and developed souls. He could not imagine having the kind of strength needed to make such sacrifice."

Yeah, I'd like to think I could have that kind of courage and heroism, but I pray I am never put to that test. I pray that I could perhaps act even half as bravely as Nelson Mandela. And I pray that there are others out there somewhere, willing to follow in his footsteps.

The following song has always made me think of Nelson Mandela. Maybe we can't all be the inspiration he was, but we all have a part to play. Lyrics start at 1:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment