Tuesday, October 10, 2017

A Shared Glimpse


Have you ever, in a public place, walked past someone and have the urge, not to ignore them but to look into their eyes and smile, to acknowledge that we are all sharing a similar journey, and that life can sometimes by very beautiful?

Not seeing him or her as a potential threat or sexual conquest, not judging them or fearing being judged, but simply seeing another sentient soul, someone capable of spirituality and kindness, of love and charity, of beautiful thoughts and an openness to awe.

For that briefest of moments you are not comparing yourself to them or them to you. You do not feel jealousy for what they possess nor pity for what they do not. You feel only unity, similarity, oneness.

And though the moment is brief, it stays with you, that person stays with you. He or she is a friend to you, though you have only shared a glimpse, because they have affirmed for you your connectedness to the world beyond the physical. It has shown you that no matter your physical or economic state there is a beauty deep inside all of us more important than all other matters.

This happened to me today, at least I like to think it did. I like to think the other person involved shared in that briefest of moments the openness and goodwill I shared in a glancing smile. I do not know for sure, will never know, but I like to believe that in some small way I was capable of making someone feel what I felt. And who knows, perhaps that feeling was not born in me but was inspired by the other person. Perhaps it was something we both created together. Or perhaps it is something that is always there and we were both fortunate enough to witness it at the same moment


Of course, it could all be in my imagination. Perhaps I am a silly dreamer who imagines what does not exist. But the alternative would be to deny that such an occurrence could ever take place, to cut oneself off from being open to each day’s potential miracles and magic. I prefer my approach. And in that spirit, I hope I am able to share it with you.

2 comments:

  1. I try to do this every day. Sometimes there is a connection, sometime you feel you are invading their space. But I keep trying because my daddy told me to leave the world a little better than I found it. So I try to bring a moment of happiness and acceptance to my fellow humans. Some take it and others don't and that is their choice. I do my part. So, if you ever walk by me and smile, I promise I will smile back. And yes we will connect for a moment as living souls on this merry go round planet we live on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, it brought a smile to my face. Two anonymous people, sharing a momentary recognition that we are both experiencing the joy of being human. Perhaps we have already met. Perhaps you have inspired this post :)

    ReplyDelete