Friday, February 27, 2015

A Message To Those Who Voted For The Right To Work Law In Wisconsin

To my Republican representatives:
     Thank you very much for passing the Right To Work Bill. I am very flattered that you were thinking about me. But, you see, I already have a job. In fact, I have been working my entire adult life.
     If that is not what you meant by Right To Work, I urge you to speak plainly, because those who do not are apt to be mistaken for liars and charlatans.
     I would thank you for listening to the concerns of Wisconsin workers in passing this bill, but I don’t recall any general call for this bill to be passed. As a matter of fact, even the wacky neighbor that puts hand written signs on his front lawn has never mentioned a need for a Right To Work law. So what exactly put this thought into your head and what made the need for it so immediate? Perhaps it was the sound of hundred dollar bills rustling into your campaign coffers that you mistook for the murmur of your constituents. Perhaps those out of state contributions given by billionaires anxious to drive down wages here and everywhere else temporarily blinded you to the ideals of representative democracy.
     So next time please ask me, John Q. Public, before passing a bill. Because I have plenty of suggestions for you, as do many of my neighbors and coworkers. Here are a few:
Instead of a Right To Work law, how about a Right To Have Off When I Need To Take A Family Member To The Doctor law? How about a Right To Job Security law? Or a Right To Only Have To Work Five Days A Week Law? Ask any of the fine folk in your voting district and I’m sure they’d have an idea or two that would be better than what you just voted for.
     Of course, we do like to see you in office actually doing something other than attending fundraisers, so I hesitate to complain. We’re glad to see you on the job, and we all know it’s not your fault the system’s the way it is. All we ask is that when you spout off about wasting the tax payer’s money, that you realize that most of what we begrudge is giving our hard earned wages to people like you.
     There are many things you could do to help a hard working, taxpaying citizen such as myself: taking away what little voice I have in my work environment shouldn’t be at the top of your list. But it seems when you are among us working guys you don’t listen so much as talk. Instead of listening to what we say, you are eager to tell us what you are going to do for us and how your solution is the best solution. It’s only when you’re with your rich contributors that you seem to be all ears. Forgive my cynicism, but I can’t help thinking that is because you are listening to their cash falling into your campaign chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment